The NBA games have become hard to watch and just like the MLB you can pretty accurately predict who will win it all and who will have a tough time. The new Big 3 in Miami just proves the point that small market teams will always have a disadvantage unless this new CBA changes that. What in my eyes makes the NFL so much better than the NBA? It’s because I feel that anything can happen, a small market team can win the Super Bowl and a big market team can go 0-16 cause it’s more equal and more difficult really to get an all-star cast all on one roster. The NBA needs competitiveness so that it creates a stir and creates more change and the feeling that if you don’t watch, you actually might miss something. Instead of now where you can predict that the NBA Finals would probably be Heat Vs Lakers but wouldn’t it be more interesting if it could be any team. You could argue that the smaller market teams could play at the top of their game and come out on top but really, when you have all-star casts running to bigger markets to “play together” it seems unlikely and honestly not appealing. I’m a huge Celtics fan, but I do think it would be nice if for once it’d be more equal, can you imagine if it was a 76ers Vs Grizzles, I know sounds like a yawn fest but with the talent spread out equally who knows who could on those teams.
I find it sad that typically a player does not finish with the team that drafted him, that 5-6 teams dominate the league always, that it seems there is always a high turn over for owners and that means that teams could be moved rather easily, and that the all-star weekend means nothing cause it’s typically Heat/Celtics Vs Lakers/Spurs… it gets boring. A more competitive league means it will be more entertaining and less predictable, which means for me as a Celtics fan that after the Big 3 era I don’t have to worry about another 10 year drought. It could still happen but the likely hood, I believe, goes down if the talent is spread out and it’s more of a competitive league. What NFL fan isn’t happy that finally the Lions and Bills are legit threats? That the Eagles tried to do it the NBA-way and have failed so far? A big market team like the Cowboys can stink? It’s fun to watch the NFL, not so much with the NBA. Take notice Stern cause this is a more important decision than you may know, or maybe you do. A high-octane league with all-stars teaming up in 3’s to join one team may offer more ratings, when and if they actually face each other, but what of those other smaller teams? Who is watching them? Maybe you can hope that by all those big names joining forces will open doors for players on smaller teams to reach that level and soon every team will have multiple all-stars on them, hm, maybe.
I believe that Stern knows what he is doing, he is a smart man and hopefully can make this more fun to watch and not so dominated by the refs. The lock outs that have happened under his reign will tarnish his legacy but the outcome of this one I think will define just how much of an impact it makes, it could be a little side note or it could be the main story. It is not easy to run a league I could imagine and I would not want to be in the shoes of either of the commissioners but I can share my opinion on how to improve them, interjecting a fans point of view. So does the new CBA need to introduce a new NBA? Yes, unless it wants the ratings to stay the same as it is now, maybe even decline a little. Hey, I could be wrong but I think a competitive NBA is a good NBA.
- Sticking point: Competitive balance (espn.go.com)
- NBA deal is 95 per cent done – why can’t they agree on the other 5 per cent? (thestar.com)